The appearance of check engine light in Toyota corolla, Toyota Camry or any other car simply means you have a problem that should be diagnosed and corrected immediately. Once you ignore this, it could lead to more damage and more expense to you. But whenever it shows Maintenance required, it simply means you need an oil and oil filter change, air filter change, fluid check, and other checks. Although changes depend on the mileage, all these are listed in the car owner’s manual. Anytime you see them, the appropriate maintenance should be done to ensure a long-lasting engine life.
To get started here are the subtopics we will be covering in this article.
- how to turn off check engine light toyota corolla
- how to turn off check engine light toyota camry
- how to turn off check engine light to pass emissions
- can check engine light turn itself off
- does check engine light turn off automatically after repair
- VSC LEXUS LIGHT: check engine light flashing car shaking Lexus
- 2006 Subaru Outback Check Engine Light Cruise Control Flashing
- How to Fix Trac Off and Check Engine Light Toyota Corolla
- Get, Reset & Clear Subaru Check Engine Light Codes without Scanner or Disconnecting Battery.
Simple Trick to Turn off Check Engine Light: Toyota Corolla & Toyota Camry
Follow the steps applicable to your specific kind of vehicle.
HOW TO TURN OFF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TOYOTA COROLLA
Please note that it is very important before deciding on turning off the check engine light in your Toyota corolla car, you need to understand why it became on in the first place. Anytime the check engine light of your Toyota car comes up, it simply means your Toyota probably needs to be diagnosed immediately.
Normally, what your service technicians who service your vehicle will do is to diagnose the car or turn off the check engine Toyota corolla light. But in case they forgot to do so, then it’s very easy for you to take care of it on your own. Just follow these steps below:
- Use your key and turn on the ignition so that the car will be on.
- After which, ensure the odometer is displayed.
- Then turn off the car with your key.
- Try to push and hold the reset button on the trip meter.
- Then turn the key back on again, but not on the start position.
- Once done, the odometer will display dashes that will disappear one at a time, and then a set of zeros will then appear.
- You need to keep holding the button down until the zeros goes away and the odometer reading returns back.
Be sure to also read this article on 4 Step guide on How to Disable Check Engine Light Permanently (Remove Check Engine Light Fuse). That will give another perspective to this topic and also if you want a detailed guide on check engine light then read this article All About Flashing check engine light & Blinking cruise control light here we went all-in on this topic even further.
HOW TO TURN OFF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TOYOTA CAMRY
Anytime you see the Check Engine light on your Toyota Camry’s display panel, then know that it has illuminated because of the ECU (Electronic Control Unit). The electronic control unit is a computer that stores codes sent to it by connected sensors positioned in your car. Whenever this check engine light comes on, you should take your car to a qualified mechanic or try fixing it yourself immediately. And immediately you fix this issue, you can then reset the system and turn off the check engine light on your own manually.
So to turn off the check engine light, just do the following:
- Find the fuse panel cover under your car steering column. Then pull it with your fingers to remove it.
- Study the diagram on the fuse panel cover and look for the electronic control unit fuse.
- Take off the fuse puller from inside the fuse panel and use it to pull the fuse out from the electronic control unit.
- Insert your key into the ignition and turn on the car without turning on your car engine.
- Then you can wait for a few minutes then put the fuse back in place.
- Once done, you will find out that the check engine light blinking a few times on the instrument panel, then it will turn off.
- After which, turn off the engine and replace the fuse panel cover.
HOW TO TURN OFF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO PASS EMISSIONS
In case your state requires an emissions check before renewing your registration, then knowing how to turn off check engine light to pass emissions will be important. The checks are to verify that your vehicle is not putting harmful vapours into the air and most states now use an OBD-II test to confirm that your vehicle is not violating standards which are required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
So to pass an OBD-II emissions test, your car needs:
- To have a functional Check Engine light and OBD port
- And the Check Engine light must be off
- A successfully completed the OBD-II system monitors that are built-in to the vehicle.
- But in case you cleared the Check Engine light, or reset the OBD-II monitors right before your emissions test, then your car typically will not pass because the catalyst and EVAP monitors need time to run. If these is the case, then you should drive your car for several more days, allowing any trouble codes and the Check Engine light time to recur. And if the light reappears again, you’ll need to address the fault, then drive around for a few more days before your state will consider your car ready for an emissions test.
Although you can also pre-test your car to confirm that it will pass without any problem. Below are how:
- You can connect to the OBDLink app
- Then tap Monitors
- Then click the menu icon to choose which state you reside in
- After which, the screen will automatically show either a Not Ready warning or with a Ready green check
CAN CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURN ITSELF OFF
You should know that one of the reasons why the check engine light turns on is that the car has failed some type of test. It might be a thing such as misfires, engine timing, the catalyst or the EVAP system, or the air-fuel ratio. So, it will run all these tests and when it sees a problem, it will fail the test. Sometimes, it has to fail these tests twice in order for the light to actually turn on to tell the driver there’s a problem.
However, one failure car owners do is to go in with their diagnostic equipment and they will look at the light and see that the light is ‘no’, they will get the code, not always, but generally with one failure. You should know that in order for the light to come on, it does take two failures which are called a two trip monitor. And once this happens, it needs to be diagnosed immediately before the light can be turned off.
DOES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURN OFF AUTOMATICALLY AFTER REPAIR
Your Toyota car check engine light could reveal a minor complication or sometimes a major one that if not diagnosed immediately, it could lead to more costs and repairs.
Once you are sure that you have diagnosed and fixed the issue of Check Engine light showing on your Toyota car, then it will reset itself after about 10 to 20 successful cycles. Note that a cycle is when the car is cold and starts again until it’s at its operating temperature.
You should note that sometimes, it can be very difficult to know which problem is causing the check engine light that is showing without a diagnostic scanner. Although most modern cars have an onboard computer device that diagnoses car issues. So anytime you fix the check engine light issue, and it persists, then you will need a scan tool such as the OBD reader.
You can solve this by connecting the scan tool to the onboard diagnostic connector. You can find this under your steering wheel. Then turn your ignition on and press the red button on your scan tool. Once done, you will be able to read a set of error codes.
After which, you can press the erase button on your scan tool, and this will clear them. Please note that this scan tool is an easy way to respond to queries on check engine light reset itself.